Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Connecting SQL Server Management Studio and SQL Server Profiler to LocalDB

I find the Visual Studio 2015 SQL Server Object Explorer to be quite slow. Also, as anybody working with an ORM, I want to monitor the SQL-commands being fired against the database during development to make sure I didn't screw up too much. 

Wouldn't it be nice to use good ol' SQL Server Management Studio and the SQL Server Profiler for that? I think so, but the Internet says NO! I've accepted that as a truth for some time, but yesterday I decided to revisit the topic, and actually found out that it works just fine.

Now I can enjoy both the speed of SSMS and the power of the Profiler without replacing LocalDB. 


  1. Install SQL Server Management Studio, mr Hanselman has created a nice download overview here:
    http://www.hanselman.com/blog/DownloadSQLServerExpress.aspx
  2.  Open a Command Prompt and run this command
  3. Now find the instance pipe name for the instance you want to connect to
  4. Use the instance pipe name as server name in the connect dialog for SSMS, and you're ready to rumble.


No comments:

Post a Comment